The Caribbean Development Bank (CDB or the Bank) has a great opportunity for a Vice-President (Operations) who has a serious interest in making a difference in transforming Caribbean economies through the effective use of development financing and the provision of policy advice to promote sustainable economic growth and regional integration. The successful candidate will be based at CDB’s headquarters in St. Michael, Barbados.
CDB is a regional multilateral development bank which was established in October 1969 to contribute to the harmonious economic growth and development of the member countries in the Caribbean Region and to promote economic cooperation and integration among them, having special and urgent regard to the needs of the less-developed members of the Region. CDB began operations in January 1970 and has become a leading catalyst for providing development financing, technical assistance (TA) and policy advice to its Borrowing Member Countries (BMCs) for the reduction of poverty.
OPPORTUNITY The role of Vice-President (Operations) [VP(O)] is critical for the success of CDB. Reporting directly to the President, the VP(O) will guide CDB’s strategic and operational engagement with its BMCs.
POSITION The VP(O) will provide strategic leadership and direction in the formulation and implementation of the Bank’s strategies for the Operations Area, which comprises the following key functional areas:
- Projects Department – accountable for the pipeline and portfolio of capital and technical assistance projects, and is responsible for all stages of the project cycle, including project identification, appraisal, implementation and supervision in all sectors.
- Economics Department – accountable for the development and conduct of the Bank’s programmes regarding macro-economic operations and structural adjustment lending; monitoring and analysis of economic, social and political developments in BMCs and relevant international sectors; the formulation of country strategies to optimise financial and technical assistance; and training in national economic management.
- Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RE/EE) Unit – the Business Development Unit for the RE/EE portfolio in the Bank, responsible for the mobilisation of appropriate resources, the design, development and administration of programmes, including supporting the preparation of RE/EE projects for further due diligence and supervision by the Projects Department. REEEU provides for an integrated approach and strategic focus on the area of sustainable energy.
- Public-Private Partnership Unit – responsible for project development, capacity building, policy formulation and advocacy, and knowledge sharing, with a view to improving the pipeline and providing selective opportunities for CDB and other financial institutions.
- Gender – responsible for the formulation and articulation of policies, strategies and programmes that promote gender equity and the mainstreaming of gender analysis into the Bank’s programming, project appraisal, and supervision of operational work.
- Quality Assurance & Oversight and Portfolio Performance Management - primarily related to: existing frameworks for review and approval of country strategy and, project and technical assistance appraisal documents; and supervision of the execution of operational products provided to BMCs.
The new VP(O) will be required to quickly develop a good understanding of CDB’s technical strengths and organisational capabilities as well as its constraints, and to translate the current state of development financing needs into opportunities for CDB and solutions for the BMCs. He/she will need to lead the Bank in aggressively pursuing its strategic initiatives, while simultaneously nurturing and building upon existing client relationships in the BMCs. The strengthening of internal capacity and capabilities will be key areas of focus for the VP(O), as CDB ensures a sustainable level of lending supported by a strong motivated team, and appropriate technology infrastructure.
The VP(O) will chair CDB’s Loans Committee comprising senior members of the management team. The mandate of Loans Committee is to review project appraisal documents to ensure that funding proposals are soundly conceived, and are formulated and processed in accordance with the Bank’s procedures, before submission to the President for his approval or for his recommendation for approval by the Board of Directors.
THE CANDIDATE The successful candidate is required to be a strong fit in relation to the qualifications, experience and competencies outlined below:
Credibility, Reputation and Experience:
- a high level of personal integrity, together with the ability to manage multiple issues simultaneously, as well as experience in managing a diverse team;
- demonstrated political objectivity and independence are key criteria for being effective in this role;
- a strong and positive reputation with the ability to build and maintain credibility within and outside of CDB;
- a deep knowledge of, and significant experience working with, the governments of the Region; and
- a clear understanding of the development challenges, opportunities and cultural nuances of CDB’s BMCs and the Region as a whole.
COMPENSATION An attractive compensation package commensurate with these responsibilities and which responds to market demands is being offered.
APPLICATIONS Please submit your résumé with the required information in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or pdf format, in English, to:
SRI Executive Search
Telephone: +353 1 6675008
In the subject line, please write:
“Vice-President (Operations) CDB”
You may contact Helen McGardle, SRI Executive Search Director, at any stage of the process to obtain more information and to ask questions. The deadline for submission of applications is April 30, 2017, at 23:00 hrs EST.