The Public Service Establishment Division (PSED) in the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service is comprised of eight (8) units:
- Pensions Administration
- Industrial Relations
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Secretariat
- Employee Relations
- Research and Establishment Control
- Scholarship and Training Assistance
- Beneifts Administration Unit
The Superannuation Unit is responsible for Public Sector Pension Legislation, Policies and Reform
The Compensation Unit has overall responsibility for the public sector job evaluation and wages policy. Within this policy the mission is to maintain a rational, equitable and competitive pay system and modern classification standards for government employees.
Pension Administration Unit
The Pension Administration Unit is responsible for the processing of retiring benefits and welfare of Government Pensioners.
Industrial Relations Unit
The role of the Industrial Relations Unit is to foster and maintain harmonious industrial relations in the Public Sector through the establishment and implementation of sound industrial relations policies and practices. The Unit also assists in the resolution of worker grievances in Line Ministries, Departments and Statutory Bodies.
Memorandum of Understanding(MOU) Secretariat
The role of the Memorandum of Understanding Secretariat is:
- To develop and co-ordinate the work programme of the MOU
- Idenitfy the activities within the MOU which together make up the programme to be implemented in fulfillment of the MOU.
- Monitor and facilitate the implementation of the provisions by public sector entities with responsibility for the area as appropriate.
- Facilitate the operation of and implementation of the outcomes and decisions from the Monitoring Committee and its meetings.
- Facilitate the operation of and implementation of the outcomes and decision from the various sub-committees.
Employee Relations Unit
The role of the Employee Relations Unit is to develop and ensure that policies relating to the benefits, conditions of the service and the welfare of public servants are consistent with modern human resource principles and practices and are equitably applied throughout the public service. In this regard the unit administers and advises on motor vehicle and other staff loan/grant schemes, group health insurance plans, transportation service for civil servants and other staff benefits projects.
Research and Establishment Control Unit
The Research and Establishment Control Unit has responsibility for:
- Managing the process of growth in the establishment level of Central Government in order to maintain the size of Government
- Ensuring Parliamentary approval of the establishment through updating and printing of Civil Service Establishment (General) Order and the Civil Service (General) Amendment Order for presentation to the House of Representatives for the Affirmative Resolution
- Conductin g Surveys on the utilization of established positions assigned to all Central Government Agencies.
- Providing the research functions which will facilitate the proper utilization of posts, and support planning and decision making in other units within the Establishment Division.
- Providing all the major research functions including labour market studies for the Public Service Establishment Division.
Scholarships and Training Assistance Unit
The Scholarships and Training Assistance Unit manages the Government of Jamaica CivilService Training Programme and acts as Point of Contact for the various donor Agencies and Countries offering technical assistance to the Government under bilateral and multilateral agreements.
This Unit is responsible for disseminating information on training and study opportunities as they become available.
Benefits Administration Unit